Friday, May 7, 2010

the spring brings alcachofas to Catalunya (and to my belly!)

 
Oh yes! Some of us wait for this moment all year long! It’s springtime in Catalunya! This means that the harvest season has begun. First it’s the artichokes and the asparagus, then come the strawberries, then so much more! 
 
This week I bought artichokes for 80 cents a kilo. Today my jaw dropped when I saw alcachofas being sold at 2 kilos for 1 euro at the Boquería market behind my house. I felt like a queen walking home with a bag filled with these things that usually cost so much. What luxury my friends, to delight myself on these beauties while sitting at the terrace watching the birds go by. This is the life, I tell you! I believe no fancy restaurant could beat the lunch I had at my house today.
This is how I prepare artichokes:
I cut the stems to make the artichoke stand on its own. Then I open the flower, where I add some sea salt and olive oil. Then I steam them for about 30 minutes. After that, it’s all about delight, one leaf (petal I believe) at a time. In contrast to some culinary habits, I refrain from dipping these lovely things on anything. The olive oil and salt in which they were cooked are delicate enough to allow the full taste to reign free. Hum hum hum… oh, there goes another seagull…

No comments:

Post a Comment