Thursday, May 6, 2010

I shall never spend another penny on store-bought milk-like things

Oooh! I really dislike talking about products. But I am so happy with this experiment that I must do justice to my Blentec total blender. Yes, I also think it’s cheesy to talk about brands as if they were one’s close friends (the world is full of mac-lovers already). But let me get to the experiment and you shall understand my excitement.

The Blentec came with a recipe book, which went straight into a drawer. I have never laid eyes upon the book, imagining that it would be filled with cookie-cutter recipes that include ingredients like frozen fruit concentrate and canned pineapple (and in fact, that’s the case!). But when faced with a bad cold which made me house-bound for three days, I decided to put off the yogurt because I had read lactose is not a good friend of those filled with mucus. Instead of yogurt with fruit and nuts in the morning, I needed some milk-like thing.

So I tried the nut milk substitute recipe in Blentec’s interestingly named Lifestyles Recipe Book. And it worked marvelously! The almond milk is so lovely that I have been raving about it ever since! (My flatmate probably thinks I need help). But the thing is that I had been uncomfortable buying milk-like liquids (soy milk, rice milk, etc) because a friend told me that the packaging they come in (a box made of paper on the outside and a plastic/metal mixture on the inside) cannot be recycled.

As an added bonus, I now know I will be saving the money that would be spent on these industrialized foods. Yeay to homemade almond milk, no matter what electronic contraption is required!

Click here for more on Blentec's super powerful blenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment