Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dona Alzira's kitchen

Dona Alzira is the lady who washed the laundry at my granmother's pousada (a brasilian version of the bed and breakfast, I suppose) by hand for over 30 years. She is married to Seu Nonô, the man who, with the help of his donkey, brings the wood that fuels the wood-burning stove at my grandmother’s kitchen. He has been doing this three times a week for over 35 years. They live in Viçosa do Ceará, my family’s birthgrounds, located on the top of the Ibiapaba mountain range, a 5-hour drive from Fortaleza (the capital of our state of Ceará). Their home is beautiful, colorful, and full of light.
The kitchen is hands down the most lovely part of the house. It’s welcoming and bright; there is always something on the stove and freshly brewed coffee for the visits (in the northeast of Brasil we must always feed our guests). Paying a visit to them is a must every time I am in Viçosa. They have known me from the time I was born, and their unconditional love carries through in the food and drink they offer me with bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment